What Is An Outdoor Electric Fireplace?
Are you looking for a way to bring warmth and ambiance to your outdoor living space without the hassle of traditional fireplaces? Then an outdoor electric fireplace may be just what you need. As the name suggests, an outdoor electric fireplace is a heating appliance designed specifically for outdoor use, allowing you to enjoy a cozy fire on your patio, deck, or backyard.
Unlike traditional fireplaces that require wood, gas, or propane, outdoor electric fireplaces are powered by electricity, making them easy to install and use. They come in various sizes and designs, from freestanding to wall-mounted, to fit any outdoor space and complement your decor.
How Do Electric Fireplaces Work?
Outdoor electric fireplaces use electricity to power a heating element and create a flame effect. The heating element is usually a metal coil that heats up when an electric current passes through it. This creates warmth that radiates into the surrounding area, similar to a traditional fireplace.
To create the appearance of flames, outdoor electric fireplaces use LED lights and mirrors. The LED lights are typically arranged in a pattern that simulates flames, while the mirrors reflect the light to create a three-dimensional effect. The combination of the LED lights and mirrors creates a realistic flame effect that can be adjusted to different levels of brightness and intensity.
Some outdoor electric fireplaces also come with a built-in thermostat. This allows you to control the fireplace’s temperature, adjusting it to your desired level of warmth. Additionally, some models may have a timer function that lets you program the fireplace to turn on or off at specific times.
What Is An Outdoor Electric Fireplace Insert?
An outdoor electric fireplace insert is a heating unit designed to fit into an existing fireplace opening or a custom-built enclosure. It can also be described as a type of fireplace designed to be installed into an existing fireplace opening or a custom-built enclosure.
Unlike a traditional fireplace that uses wood, gas, or pellets as a power source, an outdoor electric fireplace insert uses electricity to create a flame-like effect and emit heat into the surrounding area.
The beauty of outdoor electric fireplace inserts is that they are easy to install, easy to operate, and can be used year-round without the need for cleaning or maintenance.
Outdoor electric fireplace inserts also offer several safety features, such as automatic shut-off and cool-to-touch glass, making them a safe option for families with children or pets.
How To Install Electric Fireplace Insert
- Choose the location: Select a location for your outdoor electric fireplace insert that is protected from the elements, such as under a covered patio or pergola. Make sure the area has an electrical outlet nearby.
- Clean the area: Clean the area where you plan to install the electric fireplace insert. Remove any debris or obstructions.
- Assemble the electric fireplace insert: Assemble the electric fireplace insert according to the manufacturer’s instructions. This may involve connecting the power cord, attaching the front panel, and installing optional accessories.
- Place the electric fireplace insert: Carefully place the electric fireplace insert into the designated area, making sure it is level and centered.
- Secure the electric fireplace insert: Once it is in place, use screws or brackets to secure it to the ground or the wall. This will prevent the insert from moving or falling over in windy conditions.
- Connect the power: Plug the electric fireplace insert’s power cord into the nearby electrical outlet. Ensure that the outlet is properly grounded and that there are no obstructions or hazards around the cord.
- Turn on the electric fireplace insert: Turn on the electric fireplace insert and adjust the temperature and flame settings to your desired level.
- Enjoy your new outdoor electric fireplace insert: Your outdoor electric fireplace insert is now installed and ready to use. Sit back and enjoy the warmth and ambiance of your new fireplace insert.
It’s important to note that outdoor electric fireplace inserts may require additional waterproofing measures, especially if the unit is exposed to the elements. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions for safely installing and using your outdoor electric fireplace insert.
Pros And Cons Of Outdoor Electric Fireplaces
- Easy installation: Electric fireplaces are generally easier than traditional or gas fireplaces. There is no need for venting or a gas line, and the installation process is relatively straightforward.
- Convenience: Electric fireplaces can be turned on and off with the flick of a switch, making them convenient to use. There is no need to gather wood or clean up ashes.
- Low maintenance: Outdoor electric fireplaces require little maintenance, especially compared to wood-burning fire pits or gas fireplaces. They don’t produce ash or soot, and there is no need for annual inspections.
- Cost-effective: Outdoor electric fireplaces are generally more affordable than gas or wood-burning fireplaces. They also don’t require ongoing fuel costs, saving you money in the long run.
- Eco-friendly: Electric fireplaces don’t produce emissions or pollutants, making them an environmentally-friendly option for outdoor heating.
- Limited heat output: Outdoor electric fireplaces produce less heat than wood-burning or gas fireplaces. They may not be suitable for extremely cold climates or large outdoor spaces.
- Limited ambiance: While electric fireplaces can produce a realistic flame effect, they may not offer the same ambiance as a wood-burning or gas fireplace.
- Requires electricity: Outdoor electric fireplaces require a reliable source of electricity, which may not be available in all outdoor spaces. This can be a disadvantage if you want a portable heating option.
- Limited installation options: Outdoor electric fireplaces are limited by the availability of an electrical outlet. This can make it challenging to install them in certain outdoor spaces, such as remote campsites or wilderness areas.
- Safety concerns: As with any heating appliance, there are safety concerns with outdoor electric fireplaces. It’s important to follow manufacturer instructions and safety guidelines to avoid accidents or injuries.
Outdoor Electric Fireplace Ideas
ROZATO Tabletop Fire Pit
The ROZATO Tabletop Fire Pit is a small and portable electric fire pit that’s perfect for an outdoor electric fireplace modern look. It’s designed to produce a realistic flame effect without needing propane or wood, and it’s powered by electricity.
One unique feature of this product is that it comes with four roasting sticks, making it perfect for making s’mores or roasting marshmallows. It also has adjustable flame settings and a safety switch to prevent overheating.
The Rozato is a great option for those looking for a small and portable electric fireplace that can be used for both ambiance and practical purposes.
R.W.FLAME 36-inch Recessed and Wall-Mounted Electric Fireplace
The R.W.FLAME 36-inch Electric Fireplace is a versatile and stylish idea for those looking to add an outdoor electric fireplace for wall to their outdoor living space. This fireplace can be recessed into a wall or mounted onto a wall with the included hardware.
This electric fireplace is easy to install and has a remote control for convenient operation. The R.W. fireplace is also designed with safety features such as overheating protection and a child lock.
Touchstone 80004 – The Sideline Electric Fireplace
The Touchstone 80004 is one of the best outdoor electric fireplaces. This fireplace is designed to be recessed into a wall, giving it a seamless and integrated look.
The Touchstone 80004 also has multiple heating settings and a timer function, allowing you to control the temperature and operation of the fireplace.
Electactic 24-inch Electric Fireplace
The Electactic 24-Inch Electric Fireplace is another good idea for an outdoor electric fireplace. This fireplace is designed to be free-standing, making it easy to move and position as needed.
The flame effect produced by this electric fireplace stove is three-dimensional and can be adjusted to create the perfect ambiance for any occasion.
Electric Fireplace Vs. Gas Fireplace
- Electric fireplaces are more affordable than gas fireplaces in terms of purchase price and installation costs.
- They are easy to install and do not require a gas line or venting, making them more flexible in placement within your outdoor living space.
- Electric fireplaces are low maintenance and do not produce any harmful emissions or fumes.
- They are energy efficient and cost less to operate than gas fireplaces.
- Gas fireplaces offer a more realistic flame effect than electric fireplaces.
- They provide a higher heat output and can heat larger outdoor spaces.
- Gas fireplaces are often considered more aesthetically pleasing than electric fireplaces.
- They are more expensive to purchase and install than electric fireplaces.
- Gas fireplaces require a gas line and venting to be installed, which limits their placement options.
Electric fireplaces are a great option for those looking for a cost-effective, low-maintenance, and flexible fireplace option for their outdoor living space.
Gas fireplaces, on the other hand, offer a more realistic flame effect and higher heat output but come at a higher cost and require more installation requirements.
Ultimately, the choice between electric and gas fireplaces will depend on personal preference, budget, and the specific needs of your outdoor living space.
What To Dо When Electric Fireplace Is Not Heating
If your outdoor electric fireplace heater is not heating, here are some things you can do:
- Check the power supply: Ensure that your fireplace is properly connected to a power source and that the power supply is working. Check if the circuit breaker has tripped or the fuse has blown.
- Check the thermostat setting: If your electric fireplace has a thermostat, ensure it is set to a temperature higher than the room temperature.
- Check the heating element: If the heating element is faulty, the fireplace will not heat. Check the heating element for damage or malfunction and replace it if necessary.
- Clean the fireplace: Dirt and dust can accumulate on the heating element or the fan, which can cause the fireplace to malfunction. Clean the fireplace thoroughly, including the heating element and the fan.
- Contact the manufacturer: If you have tried all the above steps and the fireplace is still not heating, contact the manufacturer for assistance. They can guide you on further troubleshooting or arrange for repairs if needed.
Does an electric fireplace give off heat?
Yes, electric fireplaces are designed to produce heat. However, the heat produced depends on the model and the heating capacity.
Are electric fireplaces energy efficient?
Yes, electric fireplaces are generally more energy efficient than traditional fireplaces. They use less energy to produce heat and do not require ventilation, which can lead to heat loss.
Do electric fireplaces have real flames?
Most electric fireplaces do not have real flames. Instead, they use LED lights to create the appearance of flames. Some models may also use steam to create a more realistic flame effect.
How much do outdoor fireplaces cost?
The cost of an outdoor fireplace can vary depending on the size, materials, and features. Simple models can start at a few hundred dollars, while more elaborate designs can cost several thousand dollars.
How much does an electric fireplace cost to run?
The cost of running an electric fireplace depends on the unit’s wattage and the local electricity rates. On average, it can cost anywhere from 7 to 13 cents per hour to run an electric fireplace.
Are electric fireplaces safe?
Yes, electric fireplaces are generally considered safe. They do not produce harmful fumes, require ventilation, or create sparks that could ignite a fire. However, it is important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and safety guidelines.